Thursday 1 March 2012

The Muppets Review

The Muppets are back!

Really enjoyable comeback feature for the cloth classics.

Greatly helped by co-writer Jason Segel who lends genuine charm and enthusiasm for the stars and the material. Also greatly enjoyed were the songs mostly by Flight Of The Conchords luminary Bret Mckensie. If you liked this movie you must check out both series of their sitcom classic! (I am still indebted to Tom and Simon Wade for introducing me to this wonderful musical show, and Scrubs and, well........)

If I was nitpicking, though, I actually thought the "Life's a happy song" song was more deserving of the Academy Award than the "Man Or Muppet" song! But that's just me!

I liked the in-jokes littered throughout the script. Amy Adams was also wonderful as Mary (really looking forward to her as Lois Lane in the Man Of Steel next year!) Chris Cooper also wonderfully chewed the scenery as the bad guy (with a brilliant musical rappy moment!)

It's hard to quibble over plot points when it comes to a film involving talking and singing puppets! But oil under the muppet theatre in Hollywood? Really?!

This is a great fun film for all the family. Some nice cameos and a good life affirming message. I also liked how bright the film was! They could have gone for some sort of post-modern muppet parody, but I like the way the film pretty much went straight down the middle.

Having said that I also liked the fun they poked at Disney musical convention such as "let's meet them in the montage", and "well I did just sing a song about that!"

Good cameos (love Zach!) a fairly convenient wrap up using a bowling ball irritated, as it seemed like the core driving force of the whole story was wrapped up during the end credits! Also because of all the muppets onscreen some got a little lost in the mix but overall a film I look forward to buying and enjoying with the kids! Bring on The Great Muppet Caper remake! But leave A Muppet Christmas Carol well alone!

4 muppets out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment